Team HBV is an national initiative that supports students to raise awareness about hepatitis B in their community.
Team HBV NYC is a cross-institutional student initiative supported by the NYC Hep B Coalition, which seeks to involve students in outreach and awareness projects in NYC.
With support from the NYC Hepatitis B Coalition, Team HBV NYC seeks to:
- Identify High School, College, and Graduate Students concerned about hepatitis B in their communities who want to take a leadership role in generating awareness and improving health outcomes in NYC.
- Establish a network of student leaders at educational institutions throughout NYC to be part of Team HBV and the national Jade Ribbon Campaign.
- Provide training, volunteer & internship opportunities to student leaders so as to develop expertise in HBV among emerging public health leaders.
Project H+EAL works with high school students to raise awareness and educate their extended family. For more information click here and Paula Wong (email@example.com).
American Cancer Society – Asian Initiatives (ACSAI). Contact: Baekbong Kim (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- New Student Internships
- Center Student Investigator Seminar Series, a summer program designed to provide students an increased awareness about health issues, gaps in health status indicators, and barriers to both care delivery and research for Asian American populations.
NYC Health Department – Peri-natal Hepatitis B Program
Recruiting undergraduate and graduate students to assist the NYC Health Department Bureau of Immunization in the case management of the children born to hepatitis B positive mothers to help prevent perinatal hepatitis B and ensure immunization. For more information, see the full notice here. Contact: Julie Lazaroff, Bureau of Immunization, Perinatal Hepatitis B Prevention (PHBP) Program (email@example.com)
Advocacy & Outreach Projects
Each year for World Hepatitis Day, the NYC Hepatitis B Coalition & Team HBV collaborate on events in NYC. In 2011, we had a press conference on the steps of City Hall and held a screening event in Union Square. In 2012 & 2013, students and volunteers participated in awareness activities in each of the boroughs and then assembled centrally to join in the World Hepatitis Alliance’s Guinness World Record Attempt which we helped to successfully set!
World Hepatitis Day
2013 Team HBV volunteers in Times Square to help set a Guinness World Record for World Hepatitis Day.
Hepatitis B Awareness Week
2014 NYC City Council issues the first ever proclamation designating July 21 to 27 as NYC Hepatitis B Awareness Week
- Korean Community Services receives a grant from Hep B United to fund a Team HBV leader position.
- Sunday, July 19th | World Hepatitis Day Candlelight Vigil
- Saturday, Feb 21st | Lunar New Year Parade in Flushing, Queens
- Sunday, Feb 22nd | Lunar New Year Parade in Chinatown, Manhattan
- Month of May | National Hepatitis Awareness Month
- Mon, May 19th | National Hepatitis Testing Day Events
- Wed, Nov 20th 2-3PM | Team HBV NYC Info Meeting —Location: American Cancer Society (132 W 32nd St, Manhattan)
- Sun, Nov 24th 1-4PM | Hep B Screening Event [NEED Translators – Mandarin/Fuzhou/Cantonese] — Location: Grace Gratitude Buddhist Temple (48 E Broadway, Manhattan)
- Early August | 2014 Hong Kong Dragon Boat Festival in New York