The mission of the initiative is to connect Faith Based Organizations (FBOs), and those with interest and experience in Faith Based outreach, to raise awareness about hepatitis in faith communities. The committee develops and implements activities, such as holding awareness events or hosting speakers at faith community gatherings.
On June 21, 2016, members of the Hep Free NYC Faith-based Initiative met to launch the initiative and develop activities to raise awareness about Hepatitis in faith communities.
Hep Free NYC worked on training Health Educators to provide Hep B & C education and testing & linkage to care resources to Faith Based Organizations (FBOs) in NYC.
- Developing short basic Hep C Educational Presentation that Health Educators can deliver at FBOs
- Identifying & recruiting community members who want to become Hep C Faith Based Outreach Health Educators
- Developing an Initiative outcomes tracking system, form and process
- Forming a Hep C Faith Based Initiative Speakers Bureau. These individuals are Hep C experts (Medical providers, or experienced Hep C educators) who can be called upon to speak at FBO events.
Training Health Educators in:
- Best practices when engaging with FBOs
- Delivering the basic Hep C Presentation
- Reaching out to FBO Initiative Coordinators in order to:
- Set up Hep C Testing at events
- Establish a linkage to testing & care plan for events
- Connecting with the Hep C Expert to support the outreach effort or event as needed
Initiative coordinators will provide you with advice, support and help plan your event. If you would like the coordinator to actually participate and support the planning of the event, please give at least 2 -4 weeks advance notice.
Last Updated on August 17, 2020 by HepFree NYCTags: Hep B Coalition Hep C Task Force Past Committees