Viral Hepatitis Policy Manager
Position Title: Manager, Viral Hepatitis/Policy & Legislative Affairs
Salary Range: $55,000 – $75,000 commensurate with experience
Location: Washington, D.C.
Reports to: Associate Director, Viral Hepatitis and Director, Policy & Health Equity
Purpose and Description
The Manager, Viral Hepatitis/Policy and Legislative Affairs (PLA) manages the day-to-day organizational viral hepatitis policy and program activities and projects and HIV prevention policy. The Manager assists in the implementation of NASTAD’s legislative and policy priorities on federal appropriations and legislation related to viral hepatitis prevention, care and treatment issues and HIV prevention. The Manager works closely with the Associate Director, Viral Hepatitis and Director, Policy and Health Equity on development and implementation of deliverables and support of state Viral Hepatitis Prevention Coordinators and HIV prevention program managers, respectively. The Manager assists in implementing the organization’s communication and education activities with Congress, including key appropriators and authorizing committee staff, the White House and key agencies in support of the Viral Hepatitis Action Plan, National HIV/AIDS Strategy and the HIV care continuum. In addition, the Manager assists NASTAD’s viral hepatitis and HIV prevention program staff in programmatic activities involving health departments and coalition partners. The Manager develops, promotes and implements NASTAD’s policy and legislative work on drug user health, particularly as it relates to the impact of viral hepatitis and HIV among young people who inject drugs.
- Develop and implement policy strategies to achieve viral hepatitis, HIV, and drug user health related policy, legislative and regulatory goals
- Facilitate and operate the Hepatitis Appropriations Partnership (HAP) which NASTAD coordinates
- Research and produce fact sheets, issue papers, newsletter articles, blogs and other materials to advance NASTAD’s advocacy objectives and to assist states in providing effective viral hepatitis and HIV programs
- Support the facilitation and management of the NASTAD Viral Hepatitis Work Group and meet the needs of the hepatitis staff in state and local health departments
- Coordinate, and schedule if necessary, Capitol Hill visits for NASTAD staff, health department staff, HAP and other coalition partners
- Represent NASTAD’s positions in coalition groups and in meetings with Congressional staff
- Support NASTAD’s work as a leader in national viral hepatitis and HIV coalitions
- Track relevant viral hepatitis and HIV legislation and advise NASTAD on position and advocacy strategies
- Develop collaborative relationships with Administration and federal agency staff as well as viral hepatitis and national HIV/AIDS organizations related to viral hepatitis and HIV prevention
- Interact with, and respond in a timely manner to, the needs of NASTAD members and Viral Hepatitis Prevention Coordinators and other health department staff
- Interface with NASTAD’s Prevention, Health Equity, Health Care Access and PLA teams to promote cross-team synergy
- Participate in and support NASTAD’s drug user health team. Other duties as assigned
- Excellent oral and written communications skills.
- Advanced knowledge of viral hepatitis, HIV/AIDS, drug user health and health equity issues.
- Ability to take initiative and work independently
- Ability to work well with and support the work of others, including excellent leadership, individual and team management and supervisory skills
- Strong policy research and analysis and strategic thinking skills
- Ability to multitask while maintaining strong attention to detail
- Willingness to take direction from multiple sources Comfort working within a “matrix” management environment. Excellent computer skills including knowledge of the Microsoft office suite
- Bachelors degree or higher in public policy, public health or related fields; or any equivalent combination of training, education, and/or experience that demonstrates the ability to perform the duties of the position
- Minimum of one year of experience working on Capitol Hill, in a regulatory agency or trade association in HIV, viral hepatitis or other related health care policy
Physical Effort and Dexterity
Visual Acuity, Hearing, and Speaking
Excellent verbal and written command of the English language
Environment and Scheduling
- Interest in working with an HIV/AIDS and viral hepatitis public health organization
- Interest in working within a diverse work environment
- Willingness and ability to travel as needed
This position is classified FLSA exempt.
This job posting does not list all the duties of the job. You may be asked by supervisors or managers to perform other duties. You will be evaluated in part based upon your performance of the tasks listed in the job description, which will be provided at hire.
The employer has the right to revise the job description at any time. The job description is not a contract for employment, and either you or the employer may terminate employment at any time, for any lawful reason.
How to Apply
Qualified candidates should apply by email to HumanResources@NASTAD.org.
Subject line should read “Manager, VH/PLA” only. A cover letter (with salary requirements) and resume should be attached (PDF or Word). Submissions that do not follow the above instructions will not be considered as applicants.
Due to the extremely high volume of resumes submitted, only those selected for interviews will be contacted. NO PHONE CALLS in reference to this position will be accepted.Tags: Hepatitis C & HIV Policy Manager