Check Hep C Patient Navigator at Afterhours Project
The Hepatitis C Patient Navigator works within the Check Hep C project at a specified testing and/or community health center site.
The Patient Navigator’s role is to assist patients in understanding liver health care in the presence of a positive Hepatitis C diagnosis, and in navigating the social service and medical system in order to access necessary supportive services to support liver health, complete a liver health medical evaluation, and initiate hepatitis C treatment if recommended by a liver medical specialist. The Navigator reinforces hepatitis C medical education with the patients and provides social support. The Navigator schedules clinic visits with the patients, attends clinic visits when needed, and assists the providers with tracking the patients. Navigators will be required to communicate daily with patients to support full engagement in appropriate health care, and be on hand to answer questions or concerns. They will also be required to discuss cases with clinicians on a regular basis, so fluency with medical terminology will be required.
The Navigator serves a unique and essential role in the clinic and also key to successful outcomes of this demonstration project. A critical component of Patient Navigation will be to document patient’s experiences in a database which will be evaluated to assess the effectiveness, strengths, and weaknesses of the Intervention.
This is a grant funded position.
Specific responsibilities are below:
- Give receipt of positive PCR RNA test to patient and provide post-test counseling.
- Provide feedback to HCV team during weekly meetings
- Attend Patient Navigator training
Provide support for patients and address questions and concerns;
- Clarify information and answer questions regarding disease pathology, treatment evaluation, eligibility for treatment, psychiatric consultations and managing co-morbidity, and hepatitis C treatment.
- Assist patients on hepatitis C treatment by providing support for patients while on hepatitis C treatment, by providing assistance in managing side effects or other problems.
- Update clinician on all new developments concerning patient
- Assist clinicians in ordering all referrals
- Order patient’s hepatitis C medication and request new prescriptions from the providers
- Follow-up to clinic visits, including scheduling all appointments and follow-up on clinician referrals;
- Schedule work-up procedures including ultrasounds, etc.
- Obtain prior approval for procedures from patients’ insurance providers
- Assist patients with application for pharmaceutical company patient assistance programs
- Call patients to remind them about appointments Update the Hepatitis C patient database, track patient follow-up, run queries, assist with reports
- Assist patients with other activities to decrease barriers to care
- Record keeping and tracking;
- Record all patient test results and clinical encounters as per data management protocol
To apply email resume & cover letter to:
Director of Social Services & LTC
AfterHours Project – email@example.com
Last Updated on December 17, 2017 by HepFree NYCTags: Hepatitis C Patient Navigator