MPHI is a Michigan-based and nationally engaged, non-profit public health institute. We are a team of teams, process and content experts, dedicated to building A world where tomorrow is healthier than today!
Harm Reduction Specialist
View application here.
As part of the viral hepatitis team, the harm reduction specialist will coordinate community-based partners to increase Michigan’s harm reduction capacity. The primary goal is to help persons live longer healthier, and more productive lives by increasing linkage to substance use treatment, preventing the transmission of infectious diseases through unsterile drug use, increasing testing and linkage to care for HCV and HIV, and providing naloxone to reverse overdose.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Engages community members to improve health in a community
- Establishes contacts and meets with public, private and community-based agencies to assist in designing preventive health programs and procedures
- Facilitates collaborations among partners to improve health in a community
- Consults with and provides technical assistance to state and local program administrators, legislators, the media, and other interested parties regarding population health program issues
- Designs and implements health education and training programs for public and private health agencies and personnel to improve population health
- Develops educational materials, newsletters, reports, and media to enhance public awareness regarding health and wellness programs
- Applies and implements strategies for continuous quality improvement in program design
- Develops criteria for and conducts on-site reviews of public or private health programs to collect and analyze information necessary to evaluate population health programs
- Ensures that the diversity, of individuals and populations, is addressed in policies, programs, and services that affect the health of a community
- Possession of a Bachelor’s degree in public health, health communication, health policy or a public health related field such as nursing, epidemiology, health education OR Possession of a Bachelor’s degree in social work; OR Possession of a Bachelor’s degree in public or business administration with a health care concentration.
- Possession of a Master’s degree in public health, health communication, health policy or a public health related field such as nursing, epidemiology, health education OR Possession of a Master’s degree in social work; OR Possession of a Master’s degree in public or business administration with a health care concentration preferred.
- A minimum of 1 year working in a healthcare role or health education role at an agency such as a local, state, or federal health department, a community-based organization, or health system.
- Personal or professional experience with populations who use or inject opioids desired.
Important Skills and Characteristics:
- Ability to identify relationships that affect health in a community (e.g., relationships among health departments, community-based agencies, hospitals, etc.)
- Ability to facilitate collaboration and coordination among public and private health programs to initiate health and wellness initiatives
- Knowledge of the methods used to plan, develop, implement, and evaluate population health programs
- Ability to use knowledge of population health programs to prepare promotional and educational literature, organize events, and assist in the conduct of promotional and educational programs
- Ability to train health professionals to promote and implement health related initiatives
- Ability to maintain records, and prepare reports and correspondence related to the work
- Ability to communicate effectively with others
Work Environment and Physical Requirements: Standard office environment. May require valid vehicle operator’s license where needed to perform duties of the position. Job may require moderate physical effort including lifting materials and equipment of <50# and involves viewing a CRT or VDT screen 25% to 75% of the time.
Last Updated on October 17, 2018 by HepFree NYC