Health Educator (Multiple positions) – Mount Sinai Health System’s Emergency Department Health Education Program
Mount Sinai Health System’s Emergency Department Health Education Program is looking to hire Health Educators to provide a patient-centered, harm reduction approach in order to reach individuals living with HIV, Hepatitis C (HCV), and/or Substance Use Disorder (SUD) in New York City. Health Educators work with a multidisciplinary team to coordinate services and guide patients in an effort to remove barriers to accessing quality care and treatment.
- Screen Emergency Department patients to identify individuals with HIV, HCV, and/or SUD
- Utilize Brief Motivational Interviewing (BMI) skills to promote patients to accept education, testing, and/or referral to care
- Provide stigma-free risk reduction counseling and overdose response education, including naloxone kit distribution
- Assist in assessing the impact of treatment referral compliance and following patients upon discharge
- Produce and maintain accurate databases daily and summarize standardize report on a weekly basis with the multidisciplinary team to evaluate program operational quality and performance
- Assist in the development and presentation of public health education and promotion including HIV, HCV, Pre-exposure Prophylaxis (PrEP), Post-exposure Prophylaxis (PEP), SUD, and Asthma
- Collaborate on the development of operational plans and policies necessary to achieve program objectives and services
- Partner with health specialists and civic groups to determine community health needs and availability of services
- Participate in the preparation and distribution of health education materials, including reports, bulletins, and visual aids such as films, videotapes, photographs, and posters
- Develop and maintain cooperative working relationships with agencies, organizations, and clinical partners interested in public health care
- Perform other related duties
- The Health Educator may also be involved in program outreach and expansion activities to both within and outside of the Mount Sinai Health System. Outreach activities may include delivering presentations and attending scientific conferences and meetings.
- The Health Educator reports directly to the Program Medical Director with whom they will have regular one on one meetings with.
- This is an ideal position to gain experience in community health, research, and clinical medicine.
- Possess a Bachelor of Science in Public Health, Biology, Psychology, Education, or related discipline
- Have at least 1 year of experience in clinical environment
- Must possess knowledge of community resources and health care processes, structure, and function
- Bilingual (English and Spanish) strongly preferred
- Database management experience
- Command of Microsoft Office Suite, experience with REDCap and EMR preferred
- Must demonstrate ability to work effectively in a team environment
- Exceptionally organized and able to work independently
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Ability to plan a program based on health needs and requirements
- Ability to work with a very diverse population and be sensitive to cultural differences
- Comfortable speaking in public
- Strong independent judgment
- Flexibility to take on new duties as needed
- Certification as a Certified Health Educator (CHES) from the National Commission for Health Education Credentialing, Inc. preferred
To apply or hear more about the position, please email your CV/Resume to: