Hep C Intensive Case Manager
For Full Job posting, click here
Position Title: Counselor/Intensive Case Manager
Annual Salary: $59,309
Center/Institute: Institute for Infectious Disease Research
Project: Collaborative Hepatitis Outreach and Integrated Care Evaluation Study (CHOICES)
Hours: Normal work hours will be between 9:00am and 7:00pm, Monday through Friday. Exact hours of work will be agreed upon by the supervisor and the employee hired.
Under guidance from the Principal Investigator and Project Director, provides intensive case management and coordinates clinical services for study participants receiving integrated care for hepatitis C.
- Provides intensive case management with people who inject illicit drugs to enhance entry and retention in hepatitis C medical care and treatment.
- Coordinates care among multiple providers. Organizes case conferences and coordinates activities of a multidisciplinary team of clinicians and service providers at NDRI and other institutions.
- Conducts HIV and HCV pre- and post-test counseling.
- Provides ongoing education about hepatitis C, including its natural history and the risks and benefits of treatment options.
- Conduct motivational enhancement therapy (motivational interviewing) to reduce barriers to entry and retention in hepatitis C medical care and treatment.
- Conducts comprehensive psychosocial assessments, identifying areas of unmet needs, and develops appropriate service plans.
- Assists patients in obtaining and using services as needed including medical care, mental health and substance abuse services, other social services, and Medicaid. Works closely with patients to ensure continuity of care.
- Meet weekly with participants throughout antiviral treatment, providing ongoing support and adherence counseling, identifying barriers to adherence and formulating plans to minimize these.
- Monitor for depression and other adverse events associated with antiviral treatment, and assist participants with developing strategies for minimizing treatment related side-effects.
- Facilitates hepatitis C treatment education support group.
- Manages ongoing collaborative relationships with community-based agencies and community partners. Ensures smooth integration of research project activities into partnering sites.
- Contributes field information and data for reports
- Participates in designated in-service supervision and training
- Negotiates shared space and maintains strong working relationship with staff at collaborating community-based organizations.
- Performs phlebotomy, processes and logs blood samples from participants as needed.
- Assists supervisor with site related tasks.
- BA with 1 year relevant experience, or a high school diploma/GED plus CAC with 2 years NDRI experience as an Assistant Counselor, or high school diploma/GED plus CAC with 4 years relevant experience, or AA with 3 years relevant experience.
- Comprehensive understanding of harm reduction approach to working with people who use drugs.
- Must be comfortable working with people who use drugs.
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal, writing, and communication skills.
- Ability to function in the community and the medical center and to bridge the gap between these two environments.
- Computer skills, including word processing.
- Must maintain confidentiality of information.
- Ability to demonstrate empathy.
- Ability to build trust and maintain healthy relationships with marginalized individuals.
- Experience working in a health care or social service agency providing direct services to people who use illicit drugs using a harm reduction approach referred.
- Familiarity with hepatitis C and hepatitis C antiviral treatment preferred.
- Experience delivering motivational enhancement therapy (motivational interviewing) preferred.
- Master’s degree in social work, counseling, or related field preferred.
- Bilingual in English/Spanish preferred.
- Phlebotomy certification preferred; training can be provided.
- Research experience preferred.
How to apply
To apply send cover letter and resume to:
Emily Winkelstein, MSW
National Development and Research Institutes, Inc.
71 West 23rd Street/8th Floor
New York, NY 10010
Last Updated on December 17, 2017 by HepFree NYCTags: Case Manager Hepatitis C Hepatitis C & HIV