DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
Under the general supervision of the Director, Communicable Diseases and Environmental Determinants of Health Department (CDE) and the direct supervision of the Unit Chief, HIV, Hepatitis, Tuberculosis and Sexually Transmitted Infections (CDE/HT), the incumbent is responsible for, but not necessarily limited to, the following assigned duties:
- Support the development and implementation of a public health, evidence based, data driven, and human rights compliant response to viral hepatitis towards its elimination as a public health problem in Latin America and the Caribbean by 2030;
- Provide advice, reference and technical cooperation for the implementation of the PAHO Regional Plan of Action for Viral Hepatitis 2016-2019, with emphasis on integrated implementation, access to prevention, screening, care and treatment, as well as supporting monitoring systems for hepatitis through surveillance and strategic information, laboratory capacity and safe blood supply, in line with the WHO Global Health Sector Strategy for the Prevention and Control of viral hepatitis 2016-2021;
- Provide technical support to Member States to develop and implement comprehensive national plans for the prevention and control of viral hepatitis including through strategic planning processes which include mathematical modeling, in line with the Global Strategy and hepatitis guidelines issued by WHO;
- Assist in implementation of integrated framework of EMTCT plus (Elimination of mother-to-child transmission) through the common platform of maternal-child health to address hepatitis B as a public health problem in Latin America and the Caribbean, in collaboration with the Immunization Department of PAHO, the WHO Global Programme on Hepatitis, and other technical partners;
- Collaborate with PAHO’s Strategic Fund of Medicines and Technologies, civil society, and other regional partners to support Member States in their efforts to expand access to hepatitis diagnostics and medicines for the diagnosis of HBV and HCV infection;
- Contribute to the development, review and update of biennial programs and budgets (BWP), semiannual work plans (PTS) and periodic evaluations of assigned projects;
- Contribute to the efforts of the Organization in resource mobilization through the development and submission of innovative proposals to funding agencies, especially for hepatitis;
- Perform other duties, as assigned.
Essential: A university degree in a health-related science from a recognized university.
Desirable: A master’s degree in communicable diseases, public health, or related field would be an asset.
In the event that your candidature is retained for an interview, you will be required to provide, in advance, a scanned copy of the degree(s)/diploma(s)/certificate(s) required for this position. WHO, only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU) / United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed through the link: http://www.whed.net/. PAHO will also use the databases of the Council for Higher Education Accreditation http://www.chea.org/search/default.asp and College Navigator, found on the website of the National Centre for Educational Statistics, https://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator to support the validation process.
Seven years of combined national and international experience working in epidemiology and public health and in the implementation of health projects or health research, including practical experience in the prevention, diagnosis, treatment, monitoring and control of Viral Hepatitis.
- Intrainstitutional Action: Operates in a fair, consistent and equitable manner, and displays such behavior by example. Ensures that the mission and the values of the Organization as well as the setting in which projects will be carried out are the drivers in one’s technical work. Understands the results required and performs to that standard. Behaves consistently in accordance with the Code of Ethics of the Organization.
- Analysis, Synthesis, and Forecasting: Takes or organizes individual and collective action after analyzing situations on the basis of the available evidence and knowledge. Continuously analyzes the evolution of situations in an area of work and makes suggestions to adjust or confirm the decisions necessary to implement required actions. Is capable of anticipating the implications of an analyzed situation between six months to one year ahead.
- Communication: Actively engages in conversation with the key players in a multicultural environment both within and outside the organization. Develops a network of appropriate contacts inside and outside PAHO to gain information or to build an alliance. Takes into consideration the multicultural differences within the organization.
- Teamwork: Promotes team work and leads one’s area to finish tasks and accept responsibility. Creates a positive environment within the area of work. Makes everyone feel like they are part of the team as well as welcomes and appreciates everyone’s ideas and suggestions. Able to see the positive aspects of working as a team, shares the team’s enthusiasm for achieving mutual goals.
- Thinking, planning and the strategic management of technical cooperation interventions: Identifies the risks and benefits of options for future health initiatives based on the analysis of institutional and political trends. Applies a broad approach to work in the health field.
- Evaluation of technical cooperation interventions: Proposes criteria for evaluating interventions at the process, management, and outcome level, in addition to plans for evaluating technical cooperation, in keeping with the PAHO’s strategic direction.
- Information Management: Processes and analyzes the data objectively, presenting it clearly and equitably. Leads the effort to acquire relevant and selected information that facilitates the achievement of organizational results. Evaluates/leads the evaluation of information systems on the basis of its advantages/disadvantages for processing information relevant to the area of work
- Resource Mobilization: Establishes partnerships and alliances with a variety of institutions and organizations as well as internal partnerships to obtain financial and non-financial resources. Is able to relate with all types of people and at all levels in order to obtain resources that are needed. Is able to present and disseminate information in a clear manner. Executes resources according to the agreements previously established with partnerships.
Very good knowledge of English or Spanish with working knowledge of the other language. Knowledge of French and/or Portuguese would be an asset.