Last Updated on December 17, 2017 by wp-admin
Public Policy Manager
Position Title: Public Policy Manager
Location: Washington, DC area
Reports to: Executive Director
Posted: April 15, 2014
The National Viral Hepatitis Roundtable is a coalition of more than 200 public, private and voluntary organizations dedicated to reducing the incidence of infection, morbidity and mortality from viral hepatitis in the United States. NVHR is a leading coalition in the viral hepatitis advocacy movement, and the only national coalition focused on coordinating a comprehensive response to both hepatitis B and hepatitis C. NVHR is a program of Community Initiatives; a San Francisco based nonprofit organization that provides fiscal sponsorship to large and small nonprofit programs and organizations. NVHR is hiring a Public Policy Manager, based in the Washington, DC area, to advance our federal viral hepatitis policy agenda.
Qualified candidates should send resume and cover letter to Ryan Clary, Executive Director, firstname.lastname@example.org. Subject line should read “Public Policy Manager” only.
Under the direction of the Executive Director (based in NVHR’s San Francisco office), the Public Policy Manager will advance NVHR’s federal viral hepatitis policy agenda by serving as the lead advocate on legislative priorities. S/he will work closely with NVHR’s advocacy partners in Washington, DC and will represent NVHR in policy coalitions that address issues of importance to hepatitis B and C. S/he will also develop materials and tools to increase NVHR members’ advocacy skills, and assist the Executive Director with other policy activities as assigned.
The Public Policy Manager position requires public policy advocacy knowledge and experience as well as excellent analytical, interpersonal, organizational, coalition, and writing skills.
- Serve as NVHR’s lead advocate on prioritized federal viral hepatitis legislative priorities, including (but not limited to): appropriations, the Viral Hepatitis Testing Act, the Health Equity Accountability Act, and the repeal of the federal ban on syringe exchange funding.
- Cultivate new viral hepatitis champions in the House of Representatives and Senate through education of Congressional staff and assistance with activities such as Congressional briefings, Capitol Hill Days, and other events.
- Serve as a resource for NVHR members who engage in federal public policy advocacy, including assistance with Hill visits and developing and maintaining fact sheets.
- Represent NVHR in the National Hepatitis B Task Force and Hep B United.
- Represent NVHR in other national policy coalitions that address issues of importance to viral hepatitis, including (but not limited to): harm reduction, immigration/immigrant health, and health disparities.
- Assist with planning and execution of NVHR/Hepatitis Appropriations Partnership (HAP) public policy meetings and Hill days.
- Assist with planning of monthly NVHR federal policy update conference calls and public policy related webinars.
- Develop tools and materials to increase NVHR members’ advocacy skills, including Action Alerts, advocacy fact sheets, and webinars.
- Assist Executive Director with other policy related activities as assigned.
- Participate in NVHR staff meetings, Steering Committee calls and meetings, and strategic planning activities.
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor degree or higher in a field related to public policy and/or public health with a minimum of three years’ experience working in federal public policy and/or a combination of relative experience and education.
- Experience with coalition building and/or participation.
- Ability to work with diverse individuals and groups on complex community issues.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to undertake domestic travel (approximately 5-10%).
- Experience with Congressional advocacy.
- Knowledge of viral hepatitis public policy issues.
- Demonstrated interest and experience with advocacy on one or more issues of importance to viral hepatitis, such as harm reduction, health disparities, immigration/immigrant health.
Salary & Benefits:
Annual Salary is $55,000 to $59,000. Generous benefits package with annual leave, health/dental/vision insurance and 401K.
CI and NVHR value a diverse, respectful, and collaborative work environment. We establish and maintain trustful relationships with all staff, contractors, funders, partners, and communities. Community Initiatives is an equal opportunity employer. The above statements are intended to
describe the work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of the personnel so classified.