Senior Integrated Test Counselor
The primary purpose of Pathways to Recovery is to facilitate the development and expansion of culturally competent and effective community-based treatment systems for substance use and co-occurring substance use and mental health disorders within racial and ethnic minority communities that have highest HIV prevalence rates. The program aims to reduce the impact of behavioral health problems, reduce HIV risk and incidence, and increase access to treatment for individuals with co-occurring behavioral health, HIV, and Hepatitis conditions.
To this end, The Senior Test Counselor conducts rapid HIV/HCV testing and STI screenings on-site at Harlem United locations, at community-based settings, including SROs, shelters, and public housing developments, and on the HU testing van, throughout East and Central Harlem, the South Bronx, and Brooklyn. Provide HIV/STI/HCV education and risk reduction counseling. Deliver rapid HIV/HCV antibodies test results; conduct an HIV/HCV confirmatory test as needed as well as deliver STI screening results. Provide referral and connection to medical care/treatment, mental health services, and other social services as required. Conduct PCRS and refer to NYCDOHMH CNAP as needed.
Essential Job Functions
The following duties are mandatory requirements of the job:
- Conduct rapid HIV tests primarily but not limited to residents of East and Central Harlem and South Bronx, regardless of HIV risk status. Conduct confirmatory testing of individuals testing preliminary positive.
- Ensure clients receive confirmatory test results by offering to deliver results a convenient place and time of the clients choosing, or coordinate escort services to bring the client to a convenient FROST’D location.
- In conjunction with patient navigator, coordinate initial medical appointment for all reactive individuals. Coordinate escort services to ensure client attendance at first medical visit and return session for the HIV confirmation result. Refer clients to ATC Services for ADAP program, COBRA case management, mental health and other supportive services required by the client, as needed.
- Counsel all HIV positive individuals on partner notification. Provide referral to NYCDOHMH CNAP as required. Refer client to PCRS Counselor/Clinical Supervisor for short-term crisis counseling on issues related to living with HIV, disclosure, care, etc.
- Maintain appropriate, accurate, and clear documentation of all HIV testing services and service coordination, including utilization of a standardized SAMHSA approved instrument and report HIV tests via a SAMHSA web-based data collection site.
- Conduct quality assurance/quality control activities in assurance of rapid HIV testing federal, state and local guidelines.
- In support of the overall program, perform GPRA assessments at one of the agency’s service sites or in a more non-traditional setting, such as at a Single Room Occupancy facility (SRO).
- Required to work some Saturdays and evenings
The following duties are mandatory requirements of the job: STI Screening Specific
- Conduct STI screenings (Syphilis, Gonorrhea, Chlamydia and Viral Hepatitis) primarily but not limited to residents of East and Central Harlem and South Bronx, regardless of HIV risk status.
- Maintain appropriate, accurate and clear documentation of all STI screening services and service coordination.
- Ensure clients receive STI screening results by offering to deliver results at a convenient place and time of the client’s choosing, or coordinate escort services to bring the client to an FROST’D location for the result session.
- Coordinate initial medical appointment with The ATC Program for all individuals with reactive STI results. Coordinate escort services to ensure the client attends the medical visits. Refer clients to other supportive services required by the client, as needed.
- Counsel all STI reactive individuals on risk reduction practices, partner notification.
The following duties are to be performed as assigned by the supervisor:
- Participate in agency-wide events.
- Participate in outreach strategy planning meetings.
- Other duties as assigned
Education and Certification
Two (2) years HIV testing experience required and a bachelors degree preferred.
Candidate must possess the following certificates:
- HIV testing training certificate from OraSure Technologies
- HIV Testing in NYS: 2005 or 2010 Guidance; and
- HIV Testing skills Practice Session Completion
- Certified Phlebotomist Technician
The following is preferred:
- Bilingual Spanish
Special Skills and Knowledge
In addition to the above-listed job responsibilities and educational requirements, the ideal candidate for this position possesses most or all of the following:
- Must be knowledgeable about HIV harm and risk reduction, AOD and healthy sexuality.
- NYS Domestic Violence Screening (agency will refer to training, as necessary)
- Must be knowledgeable about HIV harm and risk reduction, AOD and sexuality issues.
- Knowledgeable about HIV infection, transmission, and treatment; knowledgeable in local, state, and federal laws regarding HIV and other relevant issues of providing health care, especially the right to privacy and confidentiality.
- Must possess active listening and good interpersonal skills.
How to apply
Harlem United is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified candidates should forward cover letter and resume to Barbara Feliciano at email@example.com.