NYHRE is looking for a Director of Syringe Distribution, Outreach and Advocacy to work closely with the organization’s leadership team to manage the syringe distribution program and associated outreach services. This includes both overseeing the related peer training program and street-based harm reduction services,
such as overdose prevention and intervention trainings. This position also supports the organization’s advocacy and policy initiatives.
As a member of the Senior Management Team (SMT) this position is vital to ensuring that NYHRE consistently demonstrates a commitment to improving the lives of people who use drugs and that the agency culture grows and develops in a way that prioritizes services that provide dignity and respect to human beings who have been subjected to trauma, criminalization, stigma and shame in many other settings.
- Manage, develop, and expand NYHRE’s syringe distribution program, including its outreach activities, UPRISE Peer Training Program, and advocacy efforts
- Provide guidance, supervision, and ongoing training for program participants and staff
- Develop, implement, and maintain program policies and procedures that meet the needs of program participants, support the agency’s philosophy, and are in accordance with applicable Federal, State, and local government funding agreements
- Manage inventory of all outreach supplies, including injection equipment and safe sex supplies
- Seek and develop funding opportunities to purchase additional items as needed, as well as enhance services for participants, including potential grants and alternative fundraising efforts
- Develop a strategy to create a system for Peer Educators to be certified by the NYS Peer Worker Certification Process
- Coordinate agency outreach activities, including working directly with Washington Heights CORNER Project on a strategic affiliation to expand service delivery in a cooperative manner
- Coordinate site management to ensure the efficient allocation of resources and staff across sites
- Manage contract deliverables and monthly reporting requirements
- Coordinate with the Data and Evaluation team to accurately capture and document outcomes.
- Continuously monitor and report on outcomes, service deliverables and participant satisfaction
- Maintain awareness of legislative, budgetary, and regulatory issues at the local, national, and global level that affect people who use drugs, sex workers, and people living with HIV/AIDS
- Identify and participate in events that will increase NYHRE’s activism profile and connection to the
- Educate participants about the role of activism in social justice gains and motivate them to get involved in advocating for themselves and demanding rights for themselves and their communities
- Produce written reports and presentations as required and on -time
- Represent NYHRE as necessary in the community (i.e., community planning bodies, community boards, police precincts), at conferences, and with other service providers.
- Develop and maintain strategic relationships with local, regional, state, and federal representatives, as well as allied organizations, community organizing groups, coalitions, and other community
- Participate in regular management meetings
- Monthly report to the Executive Director
- Other duties as assigned
Requirements and Experience
- Should have 5-10 years direct service experience with marginalized populations including active drug users, sex workers, and formerly incarcerated individuals. Experience with the delivery of street-based services and outreach strongly preferred.
- Minimum 5 years experience with program management, contract management and supervision. Must have experience managing multiple contracts with overlapping service categories.
- Significant work or life experience in the areas of substance use, sex work, and HIV and HCV desired. Knowledge of the Bronx and East Harlem IDU/ substance use communities preferred.
- Must be dedicated to advancing an agenda of equal rights and social justice for marginalized individuals, especially through participation in advocacy, and community activism.
- Must have strong interpersonal and team building skills, excellent communication and presentation skills, and the ability and willingness to be hands-on and creatively solve problems as they arise.
- High Proficiency with MS Office (including Word, Excel and Outlook), relational databases, and use of the Internet required.
- Must be willing and able to work outdoors at our street sites, hours may vary.
- Must have a valid driver’s license, a clean driving record and be able to drive a Sprinter van (commercial license not necessary).
- Bilingual (Spanish) preferred
Send your resume, a cover letter that effectively addresses the above-mentioned responsibilities and requirements as well as demonstrates your ability to contribute positively to the agency, and salary requirements to Zip Recruiter, or idealist.
NYHRE is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Individuals who have personal experience with drug use, PLWHA, women, people of color, members of the LGBTQ community, and the formerly incarcerated are strongly encouraged to apply – Residents of the Bronx and Harlem encouraged to apply.
View job posting here | For other details please feel free to contact Liz Evans: 212.235.2004