- Demetre Daskalakis from the NYC Health Department will be performing Hep A vaccination at upcoming MSM night events, and is looking for volunteers to help with outreach and documentation – email with more details to follow!
- Committee member announcements:
- Housing Works now has a Hep C provider, with particular focus in harm reduction
Hep A/Hep B Vaccination in MSM cards
- Cards have been printed and are ready for distribution! You can learn about the campaign and see the digital card here, and contact Caroline (email@example.com) to have copies mailed to you.
- We are currently brainstorming ways to increase knowledge about the campaign/vaccination through social media. We are in the process of creating an ad for apps, centered on the idea that getting your Hep A & B vaccine is a necessary requirement to get PrEP. If you have suggestions for slogans/messages you think would garner interest/clicks, please send along!
Share-out & Discussion: How organizations are engaging trans folks about Hep
- The AIDS Center of Queens County has a support group for trans women, and the group facilitator, who is also a Hep C Peer Navigator, has noted that it is hard to discuss the topic of Hep C with group attendees, and that she does not have print resources to offer about preventing Hep C among trans folks, particularly for those injecting hormones.
- As a committee, we had a shareout/brainstorm of health and Hep resources for trans women:
- Community Healthcare Network Bronx has a group for trans women. For more information on CHN trans programs, contact Julian Cabezas (JCabezas@chnnyc.org)
- CK Life (Community Kinship Life) has many trans-specific resources available on their website
- Housing Works provides medical support for adult and youth transgender individuals.
- Harlem United provides advice and support for those injecting hormones.
- AIDS Action Committee has a very helpful and straightforward guide on how to stay safe while injecting hormones – view it here.
- We are currently looking for more resources for trans folks looking to prevent Hep C, and we are seeking connections to individuals who are currently doing Hep prevention work in the trans community, or who are open to collaboration. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have suggestions.
- Andrew Bonfrancesco, Supervisor, Positive Health Project, email@example.com
- Caroline Davidson, Communications Coordinator, NYC Health Department, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Carisma Richmond, Bronx-Lebanon Hospital Center, email@example.com
- Derek McCracken, Practicum Supervisor, Narrative Medicine Columbia University firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fernando Valerio, Check Hep C Patient Navigator, Community Healthcare Network, email@example.com