NY Hep C Telemedicine Workgroup – Meeting Notes
Thursday September 16 (10 – 11 AM) via Webinar
In attendance at this meeting: See below notes
Workgroup Chair: Andrew Talal, MD, University at Buffalo, email@example.com
Workgroup goals: Short term: Identify, assess, document and disseminate current strategies and opportunities to provide hepatitis C treatment in substance use treatment facilities, via telemedicine. Long-term: Develop a NYS Telehealth network to provide a forum for ongoing learning and sharing of best practices to promote hepatitis B and C care and treatment through telehealth.
Implementing Hep C Treatment and Telehealth at REACH
Justine Waldman, MD – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Rapid implementation of telehealth in March 2020
- Important to select a platform that does not require an app for ease of use to patients
- HCV and HIV testing are offered at intake and all visits as appropriate but some decline, postpone or have fear of stigma
- Challenges include assisting those affected by criminal justice system, payment models and stigma around buprenorphine
- See presentation here.
Proposed changes to telehealth benefits for CMS,
Frank Winter – email@example.com
- CMS expects waivers to remain for the duration of the public health emergency or until December 31, 2021
- Waivers include expanded coverage of telehealth technologies
- Submit comments on the Physician Fee Schedule Final Rule here.
- See presentation here.
- CMS Telehealth Toolkit: background on the decisions that States face along with what flexibility they normally have for covering telehealth services and what additional flexibilities they have during the current Public Health Emergency.
- New York State’s COVID-19 guidance for providers and waiver requests.
- Adirondack Health Institute – two week virtual North Country Telehealth Conference. Register.
- Hep Free NYC NY Telehealth Resources for hepatitis providers
- Andrew Talal, MD, SUNY Research Foundation, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jeff Weiss, REACH, email@example.com
- Frank Winter, CMS, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Pat Lincourt , NYS OASAS, email@example.com
- Colleen Flanigan, RN, NYS DOH, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Nadine Kela-Murphy, MPH, NYC DOHMH, email@example.com
- Nirah Johnson, LCSW, NYC DOHMH, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Meg Chappell, MPH, Empire Liver Foundation, email@example.com
- Darlene Meyer, SUNY, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Marie Bresnahan, MPH, NYC DOHMH, email@example.com
- Daanish Shaikh, START Treatment and Recovery Centers, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Alvin Chu, MA, MPH, START Treatment and Recovery Centers, email@example.com
- Rebecca LaMarca, START Treatment and Recovery Centers, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Anthony McLeod, START Treatment and Recovery Centers, email@example.com
- Kathleen Davis, University of Rochester Medical Center, Kathleen_davis@urmc.rochester.edu
- Dan Shappee, AbbVie, Daniel.firstname.lastname@example.org
- Pruthvi Patel, Mount Sinai, email@example.com
- Deborah Brown, Deborah.firstname.lastname@example.org
- Stephanie McHugh, email@example.com
- Andrew Reynolds, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Justine Waldman, REACH, email@example.com
- Arslan Mohamed, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Debra Farron, Gilead Science, email@example.com
- Marc Badura, SUNY, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Katy Cook, AHI, email@example.com
- Joyce Gholson, START, firstname.lastname@example.org
Last Updated on November 13, 2020 by HepFree NYCTags: Telehealth Workgroup