July 28, 2016
#WorldHepDay, #HepFreeNYC #Nohep
On World Hepatitis Day 2016, hundreds of New Yorkers participated in educational forums, social media campaigns and free hepatitis screenings.
Liver Health Forum at Services and Advocacy for Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Transgender Elders (SAGE) – Speakers from Callen-Lorde, American Liver Foundation, and the NYC Health Department provided information on Hepatitis C and ways to promote liver health.
A Day of Action: Think About the Link. Understanding the Link Between Hep C and Liver Cancer – Speakers from numerous organizations including C.O.P.E, The Hepatitis C Mentor and Support Group, Inc., and Prevent Cancer Foundation, gave presentations on the newest Hep C medications, Hepatitis policy updates, and up-to-date information on hepatitis prevalence in New York City. The event also included vendors, music, entertainment, giveaways, and free health screenings.
Charles B. Wang Community Health Center Instagram Awareness Competition –Charles B. Wang Community Health Center honored World Hepatitis Day with a #NOhepGiveAway. Participants uploaded a photo giving a “pinky promise” to a friend promising to love their liver. Winners of the competition received gift cards and swag bags. To view the photos, search #NOhepGiveAway on Instagram.
Free screening events on World Hepatitis Day included:
- Free Hepatitis C Screenings at the Consulate General of Mexico
- Free Hepatitis B and C Screenings at Mount Sinai CAM Building
- Hepatitis Educational Presentation and Free Hep B & C Testing at Visiting Nurse Service of NY Chinatown Community Center
- Hepatitis Awareness Health Fair at Sandra Atlas Bass Center for Liver Diseases at North Shore University Hospital
World Hepatitis Day 2016 Press Releases:
Hep Free NYC – World Hepatitis Day Press Release
NYC Health Dept – World Hepatitis Day Press Release
Treatment Action Group – World Hepatitis Day Press Release
The AIDS Institute – World Hepatitis Day Press Release
Want to participate in World Hepatitis 2018? Below are some ideas on how you can participate.
Hold a free hepatitis screening event at your organization.
- Raise awareness about the importance of early diagnosis and access to care.
- If you do not have onsite testing, you can coordinate with a mobile community testing program to provide testing.
- View a sample flyer for a free hepatitis screening event.
- View NVHR Testing Day Events and Resources Webpage with information and resources for implementing a hepatitis testing event.
Organize a public event with signs, banners, and other tools to raise awareness about hepatitis.
- View the World Hepatitis Day 2016 Toolkit, which contains tips on organizing a successful Hepatitis Awareness event.
Distribute hepatitis resources and information throughout your community.
- Visit our Resource Page for diverse hepatitis education materials.
- NYC Health Department Viral Hepatitis Resources can be ordered and shipped to your organization. To order, email Daniel at email@example.com
Host a panel discussion or presentation on hepatitis.
- To connect with professionals who can present or participate in a panel discussion, email Daniel at firstname.lastname@example.org
Use social media to raise awareness about hepatitis.
- When posting about hepatitis on social media, use the hashtags #WorldHepDay, #HepFreeNYC and #Nohep
- Visit the World Hepatitis Day Campaign Materials Webpage to download images and banners for social media.
Get involved in activism by learning about current policy issues.
- To learn about national advocacy work see the NVHR Advocacy Resource Webpage.
- To learn about NYC policy issues see the Hep Free NYC Policy Webpage.
Showcase your event!