Phlebotomist/Testing Counselor – National HIV Behavioral Surveillance (NHBS) Project
Program Description: (CDC – NHBS, 600 West 168th St., NYC, NY)
The National HIV Behavioral Surveillance Study (NHBS) is an annual CDC-sponsored project in New York City and other participating sites. The project is aimed at measuring HIV prevalence, testing, access to and utilization of HIV prevention services and risk behaviors among groups at increased risk for HIV. For 2022, we will be conducting a survey cycle among people who inject drugs (PWID). Participants will undergo an interviewer-administered survey, be offered testing for HIV and Hep C, and linked to care and services. Participants will be recruited via respondent driven sampling (RDS), a peer-recruitment method.
Title: Phlebotomist/Testing Counselor
Pay: $27/ hour
Hours: 28 hours maximum per week
The Phlebotomist/Testing Counselor will be performing confidential HIV and Hep C testing and will provide counseling for the test results. Staff in this position: 1) must adhere to strict detailed survey research protocols; 2) have ability to comply with strict protocols for confidentiality; 3) must have strong attention to detail; and 4) have ability to establish rapport with diverse racial/ethnic, socioeconomic, and sexual orientation groups. The Phlebotomist/Testing Counselor will be expected to maintain confidentiality, effectively communicate with their supervisor daily, and be on time for all study appointments.
- Obtain blood specimens for HIV and Hep C testing by performing venipunctures and finger sticks.
- Conduct rapid HIV and Hep C counseling and testing per local and NHBS guidelines.
- Provide results of HIV and Hep C rapid tests to study participants.
- Provide counseling for test results.
- Properly maintain blood drawn for laboratory Hep C testing as per laboratory protocol.
- Obtain blood specimens for dried blood spot specimen (DBS) collection.
- Assist in linking participants to care who test positive for HIV or Hep C.
- Comply with guidelines for maintaining safety, data security, and participant confidentiality.
- Document communication from study interviewer to ensure participant consent was provided for HIV and Hep C testing.
- Implement local safety procedures and report field incidents and adverse events to the field supervisor immediately.
- Accurately document information on lab slips, HIV and Hep C Test Result Logs, and Specimen Transport/Shipping Logs.
- Prepare and maintain testing materials and supplies.
- Participate in required trainings.
- Escort and support study participants at the study site.
- Assist with other related duties as assigned.
Applicant must have:
- High School Diploma or GED.
- Fluent in Spanish.
- Experience collecting specimens for dried blood spot testing is an advantage, but not required.
- Phlebotomy certification required.
- Strong communication skills.
- Preferred Skills:
- Experience working with PWID.
- Experience in phlebotomy with PWID is an advantage.