Hep B Coalition Meeting Highlights | 10-03-18
October 3rd (3 PM – 5 PM) American Cancer Society, Manhattan
www.hepfree.nyc #HepFreeNYC #EndHepatitis
In Attendance: See Below
Public Charge – Assessing the Risk for Accessing Health Care
Max W. Hadler, MPH, MA, Senior Health Policy Manager, New York Immigration Coalition – firstname.lastname@example.org
- On Saturday, September 22, 2018 the Department of Homeland Security announced a proposed rule to dramatically re-define “public charge.”
- The rule will published on October 10th and there will be a critically important public comment period from October 10 – December 10. This is the best opportunity for advocacy and action to fight the rule. Any individual, group, community, organization or entity should submit a comment for themselves or on someones behalf. Click on this link during the comment period to learn more and submit comments.
- Educate and advise community based organizations and immigrant families and individuals with correct information; misinformation spreads fear and is misleading. NYIC is available for presentations and will be available to assist with submitting public comments.
- View full presentation here. Resources are listed on the last two slides.
Update from recent publication: Effect of Hepatocellular Carcinoma on Mortality Among Individuals with Hepatitis B or Hepatitis C Infection In New York City, 2001-2012.
Miranda Moore, Hepatitis Epidemiologist, Viral Hepatitis Program, NYC Health Department – email@example.com
- View full presentation here.
- Effect of Hepatocellular Carcinoma (HCC) on Mortality Among Individuals with Hepatitis B or Hepatitis C Infection In New York City, 2001-2012.
Policy and City Council Viral Hepatitis Initiative Funding Update
- NYC Council renewed the Viral Hepatitis Initiative funding (page 41) for FY2019. The Check Hep B Patient Navigation Program was refunded, additional organizations were funded for Hep B Navigation this fiscal year.
- NYS has committed to a Hepatitis C Elimination Strategy, and the Governor has invested 10 million dollars over two years to support this effort. Amy Tang, MD and Janice Lyu, MS from Charles B Wang Community Health Center drafted a letter urging Governor Cuomo to establish a NYS viral hepatitis elimination strategy that includes hepatitis B. To sign on to this letter, click here. To support this effort, contact Janice Lyu or attend the Advocacy Meeting described below.
A new Hep Free NYC Advocacy Committee is forming.To join, email Sarah Ahmed
October Liver Cancer Awareness Month Announcements
- Korean Community Services (KCS) 2nd Annual Liver Health Forum
Thursday, October 25 (6:30 – 8:30 PM)
203-05 32nd Ave, BaysidePlease join us to learn about NYC Hepatitis B Initiative and liver diseases from the experts. See flyer here in English and Korean.
- American Liver Foundation (ALF) will be launching a Liver Cancer Awareness Campaign to encourage populations at increased risk for liver cancer to follow up with their physicians to make sure they are being monitored appropriately. The radio commercial will be aired on KTU across the country. For more Information call 1 -800-Go-Liver. Click here to listen to the ALF radio ad for Liver Cancer Awareness Month!
- Korean Community Services was awarded a Hep B United Mini-grant to work on faith based outreach!
- Sign on to letter urging Governor Cuomo to establish a NYS viral hepatitis elimination strategy that includes hepatitis B. To sign on to this letter, click here. To support this effort, contact Janice Lyu.
Ways to Increase Liver Cancer Screening within Your Organization!
- Support community providers and primary care providers to screen for liver cancer in at risk patient populations. Clinical provider training is offered by Empire Liver Foundation twice a year, and through other CME programs.
- Screen patients with Hep B and Hep D confection for liver cancer, as they are at higher risk than with Hep B alone
- Advocacy and addressing stigma
- Encourage patients to talk about their experience, refer them to #justB campaign support and link patients to other HBV patients to normalize treatment in NYC
- Consider nail salon, hair salon and barbershop as venues to raise awareness. See the Aurthur Ashe program “Heart of a Woman” for guidance.
- Enhance patient education materials.
- LGBTQ – Committee Chair: Caroline Davidson, Shatterproof – cdavidson@Shatterproof.org
- Coalition against Hepatitis in People of African Origin (CHIPO)
- Next meeting: November 7 (3-5 PM) @ African Services Committee: 429 W 127th St, New York
- To RSVP or join the committee, contact Committee Chair: Farma Pene, NYC Health Dept – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Communications – To join the committee, contact Committee Chair: Shanaz Hosein – email@example.com
- Advocacy – To join the committee, contact: Sarah Ahmed, NYC Health Dept – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Liver Cancer Awareness Month. October.
- Korean Community Services 2nd Annual Liver Health Forum. October 25 (6:30 – 8:30 PM)
- Intro to Viral Hep Training @ NYC Health Dept. October 26 (9 – 1)
- Webinar | On The Front Lines Of Liver Cancer. October 30 (12 – 1)
- ALF Ask The Experts | Treating Patients with Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease. November 1 (6 – 8 PM)
See more upcoming events on our Community Calendar
- NYSHealth Accepting Applications for Conference Scholarships
- Rolling Deadline
- Alexis Brenes Health Care Access Specialist DOHMH email@example.com
- Alison Whitney Project Coordinator DOHMH
- Amy Tang Hep B Medical Director Charles B Wang Community Health Center firstname.lastname@example.org
- Arvind Bhandari Account executive Quality Speciality Pharmacy Arvindbhndr8@gmail.com
- Canossa Chan Hospital Manager/Health Systems Manager American Cancer Society email@example.com
- Caroline Davidson Research Associate Shatterproof firstname.lastname@example.org
- Chanee Massiah Epidemiologist Perinatal Hepatitis B Prevention Unit – Bureau of Immunization email@example.com
- Christina Zheng Physician Assistant NYU Hepatology Christina.Zheng@nyumc.org
- Christina Boynes Community Health Worker Bronx Lebanon firstname.lastname@example.org
- Edward Wake Adult Immunization DOHMH-Immunization email@example.com
- Emmanuel Emeasoba Montifiore-Starfish Program firstname.lastname@example.org
- Farma Pene Health Care Access Specialist DOHMH email@example.com
- Fernando Valerio Check Hep C Patient Navigator Community Health Care Networks firstname.lastname@example.org
- Halimatou Konte Hepatitis Coordinator African Services Committee email@example.com
- James Spellman Associate Director, Viral Hepatitis Medical Affairs Gilead Sciences firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jamie Love Manager Chinese American Medical Society jlove@CAMSociety.org
- Janice Lyu Hep B Program Associate Charles B Wang Community Health Center email@example.com
- Joanlyn Gao FGP Medical Secretary NYU Langone Medical Center Joanlyn.Gao@nyumc.org
- Joanna Li Administrative Assistant Chinese American Medical Society firstname.lastname@example.org
- Joy Cambe Program Coordinator Empire Liver Foundation email@example.com
- Julie Lazaroff Unit Chief DOHMH firstname.lastname@example.org
- Liz Tang Health Care Access Specialist DOHMH email@example.com
- Lucy Kingangi CDC PHAP Intern DOHMH firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mantsetse Kgama Project Manager DOHMH-Viral Hepatitis email@example.com
- Mary Chang Charles B Wang Community Health Center
- Miranda Moore MPH DOHMH – Viral Hepatitis firstname.lastname@example.org
- Nadine Kela-Murphy Practice Transformation Specialist DOHMH email@example.com
- Nirah Johnson Director of Program Implementation & Capacity Building DOHMH firstname.lastname@example.org
- Okhyun Ko Project Coordinator Korean Community Service email@example.com
- Paul Lee project coordinator kcs KCS Health <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Paul Bolter Community Outreach and Education Manager American Liver Foundation PBolter@liverfoundation.org
- Paula Wong Educational Outreach Director H+EAL email@example.com
- Qingqing He Hep B Care Management Specialist Charles B Wang Community Health Center firstname.lastname@example.org
- Rachel Redding Program Assistant DOHMH email@example.com
- Sarah Ahmed Communications and Community Engagement Coordinator DOHMH firstname.lastname@example.org
- Shanaz Hosein Hep C Prevention in Youth Intern CUNY Brooklyn College email@example.com
- Shifra Baum Physician Assistant Elmhurst Hospital firstname.lastname@example.org
- Soonsik “Sara” Kim Hep B Patient Navigator Coordinator Korean Community Service Skim@kcsny.org
- Theodore Welling Associate Professor of Surgery, Director Liver Tumor Program NYU Langone Health Theodore.Welling@nyumc.org
- Umaima Khatun Program Coordinator DOHMH email@example.com
- Yanting (Kelly) Huang Data Manager DOHMH-Viral Hepatitis firstname.lastname@example.org
- Yocaira Vazquez Morris Heights Health Center email@example.com