We are excited to be sponsoring the first ever NYC Hepatitis B Awareness Week from July 21st to the 27th, culminating on the 28th with World Hepatitis Day. Get involved by attending events throughout the week!
Awareness and advocacy are especially important now, because the Viral Hepatitis Testing Act of 2013 (HR 3723) is sitting in the Energy and Commerce Subcommittee on Health and it needs your help! This important bill would authorize $80 million over three years to increase essential surveillance, education, and testing programs for hepatitis B and C in the US. Throughout the week, we will collect petition signatures and encourage participants to call their members of Congress in support of this act. Learn what to say when you call Congress about HR 3723.
Monday, July 21st | 2:00 PM — Press Conference at NYC City Hall Tuesday, July 22nd | 5:30-7:30 PM — Hepatitis B Educational Seminar Thursday, July 24th | 7:00-9:00 PM — “Another Life” Documentary Screening and Discussion Friday, July 25th | 12:00-1:00 PM — Lunchtime Sit-in at Washington Square Park Monday, July 28th | 12:00-1:00 PM — World Hepatitis Day Demonstration in Foley Square
Press Conference at NYC City Hall–Monday, July 21st | 2:00-2:30 PM | Directions
- Come and show NYC City Council legislators that you support efforts to increase hepatitis B awareness, screening, and linkage to care! This press conference on the steps of City Hall will kick off NYC Hepatitis B Awareness Week, highlight the importance of hepatitis B advocacy, and announce the City Council’s new Hepatitis B/C initiative with the NYC Department of Health and Mental Hygiene. Come one, come all! Don’t miss this simple and exciting way to be a part of hepatitis B advocacy in NYC! (Note: don’t forget to bring a photo ID to go through security.) Learn more here!
Hepatitis B Educational Seminar–Tuesday, July 22nd | 5:30-7:30 PM | 550 1st Ave, NYU Langone Medical Center, 1st Floor Smilow Multipurpose Room
- Interested in learning more about the pathology and treatment of hepatitis B? Join us for an educational seminar about hepatitis B testing, disease progression, and medical management. We will have Dr. Vinh Pham from Bellevue Hospital address these issues, followed by a Q&A session. The seminar seeks to engage healthcare professionals and health profession students in a discussion about the recent news about hepatitis B, but all are welcome to participate! Get your free ticket here! Join the Facebook event!
- Come enjoy a free screening of “Another Life,” a brief documentary that reveals the impact of hepatitis B through the stories of 8 families in the US and China. We will then show “Across Qinghai,” a short film about the largest hepatitis B catch-up vaccination program in China. The evening will conclude with an interactive discussion with Dr. Su Wang, MD, MPH addressing the complex issues surrounding hepatitis B, including health policy efforts, cultural misconceptions, and the need for advocacy. We will also be showing an exclusive pre-recorded interview with directors Aaron Deemer & Eric O’Connor! Light refreshments will be served. Get your free ticket here! Join the Facebook event!
Lunchtime Sit-in at Washington Square Park–Friday, July 25th | 12:00-1:00 PM | Directions to Washington Square Park
- Spend your lunch hour with other hepatitis B advocates, spreading awareness about this silent epidemic. We will sit on the steps of Washington Square Park and prop up signs that say phrases like “I won’t stand for: hepatitis B causing liver cancer” or “I won’t stand for: mother-to-child transmission of hepatitis B.” Our sit-in will turn heads and spread awareness while we chat and eat lunch!
- Join over 100 volunteers in this large demonstration for Viral Hepatitis Awareness! There will be T-shirts, card stunts, and plenty of fun! See the main NYC World Hepatitis Day page for more information. Join the Facebook event!
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org!