On September 10, 2015 the Hep Free NYC Patient Navigator Network toured Damian Family Health Center (FQHC) in Jamaica, Queens.
Damian Family Health Center
• Located at 137-50 Jamaica Avenue, Jamaica, NY 11435
• Provides primary care and specialty care, including pediatric medicine, gynecology, adult medicine, dentistry, mental health, and HIV and Hepatitis B & C treatment.
• Most staff, including providers, speak Spanish.
Hours of operation:
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday: 9:00am – 5:00pm
Thursday: 8:00am – 6:00pm
Saturday: 8:00am – 3:30pm
To make an appointment, call 718-298-5100
Patient Navigator Network Participant Discussion
Introduction of Daniel Calder, who will be working at the NYC Department of Health and Mental Hygiene as a community outreach and capacity building coordinator in the Viral Hepatitis Division.
Cynthia Banya gave a presentation on American Liver Foundation’s National Hotline, 1-800-GoLiver.
• The hotline provides medical information about viral hepatitis.
• The hotline can connect people with Viral Hepatitis to medical care and support groups.
• Callers can also be connected to financial services to help them pay for co-pays and other medical costs.
Angel Cotto spoke about the new Wyckoff Medical Arts Building.
• The building is located 1610 Dekalb Avenue, Brooklyn NY 11237
• Offers community-based primary and specialty care for the holistic management of HIV and other chronic disease, including Hepatitis C.
• For more information, contact Zachariah Hennessey at firstname.lastname@example.org or 718-907-4952
Many challenges still exist with connecting patients to care and medication treatment.
• Private insurances, Medicare and Medicaid, are not covering or dropping coverage of Hepatitis C medications.
• Hepatitis C patients are wary of taking Hepatitis C medications they are unfamiliar with.
• Some HIV patients may need to change their HIV medication regimen to start taking Hepatitis C medication. HIV patients may be resistant to this change.
Cynthia Banya – Liver Foundation (email@example.com)
Paul Botler – Liver Foundation (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Natasha Berry – Damian Family Health Center (email@example.com)
Daniel Calder – NYC Department of Health and Mental Hygiene (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Angel Cotto – Wyckoff Hospital (email@example.com)
Elizabeth King – Damian Family Health Center (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Frank Winter – Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (email@example.com)