Community Health Worker (Mount Sinai Respectful & Equitable Access to Comprehensive Healthcare (REACH) Program)

 Please send cover letter and resume to Dr. Jeffrey Weiss at

Full/Part-time: Full-Time

Salary Range: $34,999.88 – $74,262.95

Job Description:

The Community Health Worker (CHW) is a full-time staff member in the Mount Sinai Respectful & Equitable Access to Comprehensive Healthcare (REACH) Program in the Division of General Internal Medicine of the Department of Medicine, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai.

The REACH Program is a primary-care clinic for people who use drugs (PWUD) at Mount Sinai Hospital in New York City. Using a multidisciplinary team model, REACH provides harm reduction focused primary care, medications for opioid and alcohol use disorder, and Hep C testing and treatment. The clinical team is committed to harm reduction and trauma informed approaches to patient care that acknowledge systemic racial injustice and provide respectful, compassionate, and equitable care for all patients.

The CHW’s role is to provide education and support to (potential) REACH Program clients at partner community agencies and at REACH Program outreach activities. Outreach activities include educational presentations, Hep C rapid testing (including pre- and post-test counseling), overdose education and naloxone kit distribution, and facilitating appointments in the clinic for primary care and Hep C care and treatment.

The CHW is supervised by the Outreach Coordinator and the Program Manager. The CHW is expected to spend approximately 60% of the time in the field/office and the other 40% of the time working remotely. The field locations include substance use treatment programs throughout Manhattan and Brooklyn.

Specific Responsibilities: 

  • Coordinate new referrals with partner agencies
  • Provide education to (potential) patients about Hep C screening, infection, and
  • Coordinate scheduling of appointments for patients with REACH staff and clinicians
  • Documenting patient encounters
  • Tracking patient contacts
  • Coordinating telemedicine visits with clients and staff at partner agencies
  • Deliver overdose education and naloxone training
  • Assess patient barriers to accessing care and treatment
  • Consent and pre- and post-test counseling
  • Conduct Hep C rapid tests
  • Assist outreach coordinator with outreach event planning


  • Bachelor’s Degree preferred
  • Spanish speaking preferred
  • Exceptionally organized and able to work independently
  • Excellent communication skills
  • Compassionate and personable
  • Occasional availability on nights and weekends at required times
  • Willing to work in the field with community members
  • 2 year commitment desired
  • Interest in health disparities
  • Knowledge of harm reduction principles
  • Interest in working with patients with substance use disorders/psychiatric
  • Lived experience with substance use and/or Hep C infection preferred

***The Mount Sinai Health System (MSHS) provides equal employment opportunity to all its employees and applicants for employment without unlawful discrimination on the basis of their actual or perceived race, creed, color, religion, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, gender identity, age, disability, marital or parental status, sexual orientation, veteran, immigration, citizenship, or other protected status.


The Mount Sinai Health System (MSHS) provides a salary range to comply with
the New York City Law on Salary Transparency in Job Advertisements. The salary range for the role is $34,999.88 – $74,262.95 Annually. Actual salaries depend on a variety of factors, including experience, education, and hospital need. The salary range or contractual rate listed does not include bonuses/incentive, differential pay or other forms of compensation or benefits.

To Apply

Please send cover letter and resume to Dr. Jeffrey Weiss, Director, REACH
Program, Division of General Internal Medicine at

©2023 HepFree.NYC. All rights reserved. Site by Lookit®

Log in with your credentials

Forgot your details?