CHIPO-NYC Committee Notes
- Hep B pocket card and Hep B and C testing voucher will be updated and printed out. If interested please email Farma Pene at firstname.lastname@example.org for number of copies (French version will be available).
- Montefiore provides hep b education at mosques and will soon start screening at those mosques.
- Montefiore also has ECHO clinic for their uninsured patients.
- African Services Committee (ASC) provides free hep B and C testing at mosques as well as walk-in onsite and linkage to care services for positive Hep B and C patients.
- Organizations should collaborate to raise awareness about hepatitis in the African community to promote increased vaccination, testing and linkage to care. Email Farma Pene at email@example.com if you would like to collaborate with ASC for testing.
- NYC Health Department is here to support; to learn more about our work in Hep B and C please visit hepfree.nyc
Public Charge Presentation – New York Immigration Coalition (See attached presentation)
- People with Chronic Illnesses (such as Hep B or HIV) entering the country – Visit “Protecting Immigrant Families” resource page here
- PCAP and Emergency Medicaid holders – not exempt
- Sliding Fee Scale (H+H and FQHC) – not yet determined
- Timeframe to discontinue benefits before the rule goes into effect – There will be an effective date for people disenroll when the rule is proposed and approved.
- Resources to ensure health access for all (insured and uninsured) are available at hepfree.nyc/patients-public/patient-resources/special-programs/
- Hep Cap – Hep C
- Patient Assistance Programs (PAPs) – Hep B and C
- Referral to care for the uninsured – H+H hospitals, Montefiore, FQHC
- #just B (Hepatitis B Foundation) – Seeking patient and family member to tell their Hep B story. Please email Chari Cohen at firstname.lastname@example.org for more details
- Intro to Viral Hep Training @ NYC Health Dept. August 27th (9 – 5pm). To register, sign in or create an account (see email).
- National African Immigrant and Refugee HIV and Hepatitis Awareness Day (NAIRHHA Day) – September 7th (10-4pm) Health Fair and Testing at ASA 121st Saint Nicholas Ave, New York, NY 10026. You are invited to promote your organization. Please RSVP
- NYC Hep C Task Force Meeting. September 12th (3 -5pm) – 132 W 32nd St (see email).
- NYC Hep B Coalition Meeting. September 26th (3 -5pm) 132 W 32nd St (see email).
- African Immigrant Advisory Group – Email Chari Cohen at email@example.com to join
- National CHIPO Call – Email Chari Cohen at firstname.lastname@example.org to join
- Next CHIPO-NYC Meeting – October 24th (3-5pm) at African Services Committee 429 W. 127th Street. Please RSVP
CHIPO is a coalition of organizations and individuals interested in addressing the high rates of hepatitis B and C infections among African communities in the U.S. Our goal is to bring together NYC organizations, services providers and advocates who are dedicated to ending hepatitis B and C in African communities throughout the city.
1. Claudia Calhoon, Director of Health Policy, The New York Immigration Coalition, email@example.com
2. Christina Boynes, Patient Navigator, Bronx Lebanon Hospital, Cboynes@bronxleb.org
3. Diana Diaz Munoz , Check Hep C Program Manager, DOHMH, firstname.lastname@example.org
4. Emmanuel Emeasoba, MD, Montefiore Medical Center, Emmanuelemeasoba@gmail.com
5. Farma Pene, HCAS, Meeting Organizer, DOHMH, email@example.com
6. Halimatou Konte, Testing Center Coordinator, ASC, firstname.lastname@example.org
7. Hager Shawkat, Program Manager, Sauti Yetu Center for African Women and Families, email@example.com
8. Jerry Loschiavo, Specialty Pharmacy Account Executive, CVS Specialty Pharmacy, Gerald.firstname.lastname@example.org
9. Liz Tang, HCAS, DOHMH, email@example.com
10. Luis R. Perez, Pharmacy rep, AHF, firstname.lastname@example.org
11. MaNtsetse Kgama, Project Manager, Project SUCCEED, DOHMH, email@example.com
12. Papa Ibrahima Sow, President of the Senegalese Association, ASA, firstname.lastname@example.org
13. Umaima Khatun, Check Hep B Program Manager, DOHMH, email@example.com
14. Sarah Ahmed, Community Organizing & Training Coordinator, DOHMH, firstname.lastname@example.org