The Assistant Outreach Coordinator is a part-time staff member (80% = 4 days per week) in the Mount Sinai Respectful & Equitable Access to Comprehensive Healthcare (REACH) Program in the Division of General Internal Medicine of the Department of Medicine, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai.
The REACH Program at the Mount Sinai Hospital takes a multidisciplinary, team-based, harm reduction approach to primary care for persons using alcohol and other drugs, including buprenorphine treatment for person with opioid use disorder. REACH also provides comprehensive treatment of hepatitis C virus (HCV) infection, behavioral health evaluation, and referral to treatment for persons living with substance use and/or mental health conditions. REACH conducts community outreach to offer overdose response training and free naloxone kits, education about harm reduction and medication assisted treatment for opioid use disorder, and HCV screening and linkage to care and treatment.
The Assistant Outreach Coordinator’s role will be to work with the Program Director and Outreach Coordinator to develop and implement the REACH Community Reinforcement and Family Training (CRAFT) initiative. In order to expand the commitment to addressing the overdose epidemic, REACH is beginning a new community service to provide free CRAFT training to families and friends of people who use drugs. CRAFT teaches family and friends effective strategies for helping a person they care about who is using drugs. CRAFT is an evidence-based intervention that has been shown to move people who use drugs toward getting substance use treatment, reduce their level of substance use, and improve the lives of the concerned families and friends.
This is an ideal position to gain experience in community health intervention.
This is a grant funded position.
Organize CRAFT group trainings;
· Serve as point of contact for community members interested in CRAFT training
· Assess eligibility to participate in CRAFT training
· Provide logistical support in scheduling CRAFT training sessions
· Participate in CRAFT training sessions
· Document CRAFT training sessions
· Track community participation in and satisfaction with CRAFT training sessions
· Coordinate CRAFT program with REACH staff and volunteers
· Participate in development of and implementation of CRAFT social media and PR campaign
· Provide feedback to the REACH team during weekly meetings
· Participate in quarterly REACH Consumer Advisory Board Meetings
· Participate in quarterly REACH Community Forum
· Assist in organizing monthly REACH Community Lunch
Participate in REACH community outreach events;
· Attend scheduled REACH outreach activities
· Provide education on preventing drug overdose
· Provide education on harm reduction principles
· Conduct hepatitis C virus rapid tests (antibody and dried blood spot RNA)
· Make appointments for tests and results for follow-up care
More information here.
How To Apply
Please send cover letter and resume to Dr. Jeffrey Weiss, Director, REACH Program, Division of General Internal Medicine
Email preferred: Jeffrey.Weiss@mountsinai.org
Jeffrey J. Weiss PhD, MS
Associate Professor, Department of Medicine