Overdose Prevention Coordinator | NYC Dept of Homeless Services

Job Description

The Overdose Prevention Coordinator will develop, implement, manage and evaluate the DHS Drug Use and Overdose Prevention Program, with the goals of preventing overdose deaths in NYC shelters and reducing drug use. Reporting to the Program Director, the Overdose Prevention Coordinator will: Participate in the development and implementation of an overall strategy to address substance use in the DHS shelters, including overdose prevention, access to other medication-assisted therapy modalities, and harm reduction strategies; develop, update and maintain program policies and procedures. Develop and implement an overdose prevention strategy, utilizing naloxone administration at its core. Update and deliver overdose prevention trainings for shelter staff, including DHS Peace Officers, manage requests for trainings, and collaborate with and make referrals to external trainers; provide technical assistance to  certified responders, trainers and shelter programs. Collect and analyze OD prevention training data, naloxone usage data and overdose reversal reports, create and manage reports, prepare quarterly Intranasal Naloxone Report. Follow up and track all nonfatal overdose occurrences, making contact with shelter providers to ensure linkage to substance abuse treatment are made and related data are entered into the DHS database. Maintain electronic records of names of trainees, training dates, and of designated staff dispensers. Manage naloxone supplies so there is no shortage, and manages orders and distribution; set and manage deliverables for shelter staff/trainers distributing naloxone. Collaborate with other units, divisions, including shelters and programs, to evaluate naloxone distribution and usage in the DHS shelter system. Collaborate with DOHMH and other outside agencies within the citywide substance use prevention community. Conduct related research and program evaluation.

Minimum Qualification Requirements

For Assignment Level I (only physical, biological and environmental sciences and public health) A master’s degree
from an accredited college or university with a specialization in an appropriate field of physical, biological or
environmental science or in public health.

To be appointed to Assignment Level II and above, candidates must have:

  1. A doctorate degree from an accredited college or university with specialization in an appropriate field of physical, biological, environmental or social science and one year of full-time experience in a responsible supervisory, administrative or research capacity in the appropriate field of specialization; or
  2. A master’s degree from an accredited college or university with specialization in an appropriate field of physical, biological, environmental or social science and three years of responsible full-time research experience in the appropriate field of specialization; or
  3. Education and/or experience which is equivalent to “1” or “2” above.  However, all candidates must have at least a master’s degree in an appropriate field of specialization and at least two years of experience described in “2” above. Two years as a City Research Scientist Level I can be substituted for the experience required in “1” and “2” above.



Probationary Period: Appointments to this position are subject to a minimum probationary period of one year

Preferred Skills
Knowledge of opioid overdose issues and prevention guidelines Experience working in clinical, drug use, correctional
health or homeless settings is a plus One year experience in program development and implementation or monitoring,
including as a student or intern Training and oral presentation experience Understanding of and ability to plan and
perform data analysis for program monitoring

To Apply:


Search Job ID: 294871

Apply Online


©2019 HepFree.NYC. All rights reserved. Site by Lookit®


We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you. Thank you.


Log in with your credentials

Forgot your details?