Last Updated on
Director of Supportive Services
See original post here.
From its activist beginnings as an underground needle exchange, New York Harm Reduction Educators (NYHRE) is now New York’s largest syringe exchange program, serving over 5,000 low-income drug users and street-based sex workers each year in the Bronx and East Harlem using a unique street-side, low-threshold model. Rooted in social and economic justice, NYHRE provides integrated educational, supportive and substance use services in a non-coercive, grass roots manner that help participants empower themselves, improve the quality of their lives and have a positive impact on our communities.
NYHRE encourages a collaborative environment where staff are expected to be proactive in their work and encouraged to actively participate in the improvement of service delivery and the development of programs.
The Director of Supportive Services is responsible for the agency’s street and office-based Harm Reduction Counseling program, Mental Health program, Structured Interventions, and Holistic Health program, which includes low-threshold risk reduction education, general case management services, drug treatment placement, HIV and HCV counseling and testing, the provision of educational and support groups, low-threshold mental health services, as well as acupuncture and other alternative therapies. NYHRE’s service model is based on educating participants and facilitating empowerment so that individuals advocate for themselves and make self-identified changes in their lives. Consistent with this philosophy, NYHRE’s Supportive Services programs help participants identify their strengths, needs, and barriers to accessing services, while promoting concepts of wellness, developing their support networks, and connecting them to opportunities to identify, influence, and change the policies that affect their lives. As one of the agency’s two program directors and a member of the Senior Management Team (SMT), this position is key to ensuring that NYHRE operates in a manner consistent with the principles of Harm Reduction and is responsible for modeling behavior consistent with an agency culture that values education, growth and collaborative team-based management.
- Oversee and manage the agency’s Harm Reduction Counseling, Mental Health, Structured Interventions, and Holistic Health services across multiple street and office-based sites.
- Develop, implement, and maintain program policies and procedures. Ensure that program services are effective and satisfying for program participants, consistent with the agency’s harm reduction philosophy, and are delivered as outlined in contractual agreements with funders.
- Facilitate regular individual supervision sessions, team meetings, and case conferencing for frontline staff and peers. Provide guidance, ongoing training, and skills development to improve knowledge and service delivery.
- Ensure the efficient allocation of staff resources across sites, and work with other members of the SMT to continually improve accountability, intra-agency communication and collaboration.
- Utilize data to coordinate optimal program workflow, assess service goals, improve methods of reaching and providing services to participants, and develop and implement new and innovative services to meet emerging needs.
- Ensure maintenance of proper documentation and conduct regular chart audits.
- Continuously monitor and report on outcomes, service deliverables, and participant satisfaction, and work with the Executive Director and the Data and Evaluation department to implement a comprehensive quality management plan that includes the development of appropriate performance measures.
- Reinforce and develop a collaborative and proactive agency culture through supportive and motivating interactions with staff and the implementation of fair and effective policies.
- Produce written reports, publications, presentations, and relevant portions of funding proposals. Represent NYHRE in the community, at conferences, and with other service providers.
- Oversee the maintenance of an updated resource directory for referrals to service providers, and work with program staff to establish and maintain active and positive collaborations with other community agencies. Monitor feedback from staff and participants to ensure that the agencies to which we refer are effective and treat participants with respect and dignity.
- Leverage external resources and cultivate the engagement and commitment of potential allies and volunteers to address program and service gaps. Work with the SMT to coordinate the delivery of these services (including medical and dental care, and food and clothing distribution) to NYHRE participants.
- Continually and proactively educate yourself about new developments in the field and work with colleagues to share information and best practices.
- Other duties as assigned.
Requirements and Experience:
- MPH, MPA, MSW or Master’s level experience preferred; LCSW a plus.
- Should have 5-10 years direct service experience with marginalized populations including active drug users, sex workers, and formerly incarcerated individuals. Experience with the delivery of street-based services and outreach strongly preferred.
- Minimum 5 years experience with program management, contract management and supervision. Must have experience managing multiple contracts with overlapping service categories.
- Significant work and/ or life experience in the areas of substance use, sex work, HIV and HCV required. Knowledge of the Bronx and East Harlem IDU/ substance use communities preferred.
- Must have strong interpersonal and team building skills, excellent communication and presentation skills, and the ability and willingness to be hands-on and creatively solve problems as they arise.
- Must be committed to the Harm Reduction philosophy and to working with marginalized people (mainly people who use drugs and sex workers) in a multi-cultural, multi-racial environment in a non-judgmental manner.
- Must be dedicated to advancing an agenda of equal rights and social justice for marginalized individuals, especially through participation in advocacy and community activism.
- Must be familiar with developing outcome evaluation measures, and analyzing and interpreting data. Experience developing and implementing comprehensive quality management programs is desired.
- Proficiency with MS Office (including Word, Excel and Outlook), relational databases, and use of the Internet for research required.
- Must be willing and able to work outdoors at our street sites up to 20% of the time, hours may vary.
- Bilingual (Spanish) preferred.
Reports to: Executive Director
Supervises: Social Worker, 3-4 Harm Reduction Counselors, Holistic Health Leader, and Peers
Status: Full-time, Exempt
NYHRE is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Individuals who have personal experience with drug use, PLWHA, women, people of color, members of the LGBTQ community, and the formerly incarcerated are strongly encouraged to apply.
How to Apply:
To apply: Send your resume, a cover letter that effectively addresses the above-mentioned responsibilities and requirements as well as demonstrates your ability to contribute positively to the agency, and salary requirements to email@example.com. Subject line should read, “Director of Supportive Services position – last name“. All attachments should adhere to the following naming convention “Lastname, Firstname CoverLetter”. As this position requires attention to detail, omitting or not following all of the application procedures will result in your disqualification. No calls please.Tags: Harm Reduction Hepatitis C & HIV