Posted on: August 20, 2013
The position description is a guide to the critical duties and essential functions of the job, not an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, qualifications, physical demands and work environment conditions. Position descriptions are reviewed and revised to meet American Liver Foundation’s changing needs, at the sole discretion of management.
TITLE: Helpline Specialist
LOCATION: New York, NY
REPORTS TO: Manager of Support Services-Programs
The American Liver Foundation’s (ALF) mission is to facilitate, advocate, and promote education, support and research for the prevention, treatment and cure of liver disease. ALF’s programmatic efforts through its education, support, and outreach programs, research awards programs, and advocacy initiatives help further its mission.
The Helpline Specialist is a key member of the Programs Department and provides support and education to people with liver disease, their family members, friends, and caregivers, the general public and health care and social service professionals. The Helpline Specialist responds to all requests for information and provides support, education and local resource information relating to liver disease, with a dedicated focus on viral hepatitis. He/She may act as the content expert and primary resource for Hepatitis C for division and national staff
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The American Liver Foundation’s National HelpLine:
- Respond to all HelpLine calls, emails and mail requests;
- Coordinate requests between local division offices and national staff;
- Collect and analyze HelpLine data;
- Act as internal resource for division and national staff for liver disease education;
- Lead support group sessions relating to various topics on a timely basis (skills desirable);
- Perform ad hoc duties relating to support service initiatives, as requested;
- Participate in planning, researching and implementing new support service initiatives;
- Represent the American Liver Foundation at local and national meetings, as assigned;
- Attend relevant trainings to strengthen and expand support services;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Education: A Bachelor’s in Social Work or related field. Master’s in Social Work preferred.
- A minimum of 3 years of experience in health education, preferably in a clinical setting
- Person must have extensive knowledge of liver disease, specifically viral hepatitis – the HelpLine Specialist will be working with clients who are going through different aspects of their liver disease journey (i.e. newly diagnosed, chronic)
- Some experience with managing crisis situations preferred
- Must demonstrate excellent customer [patient] service skills
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) desirable
- Excellent assessment, communication and organization skills.
- Demonstrated initiative and good judgment.
- Ability to work well in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent computer skills, particularly with MS Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint
How to apply
Subject line of e-mail must include “Helpline Specialist – NY Office”
The American Liver Foundation is an equal opportunity employer, offering comprehensive benefit programs, a team environment, training and support, and all resources required to ensure that employees succeed in meeting personal and team goals. Interested candidates should email a cover letter, resume and salary history expectations to email@example.com.
Position is located in downtown Manhattan.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE!