Coalition against Hepatitis in People of African Origin (CHIPO) – NYC Committee
Viral hepatitis is highly endemic in many parts of Africa (defined by the CDC as 8-20%), and prevalence rates among Africans living in the U.S. are similar to rates in Africa. There is a large African-born population living in the United States, specifically in New York City. However, there is a lack of public health awareness about the burden of disease in this population.
CHIPO-NYC is a coalition of organizations and individuals interested in addressing the high rates of hepatitis B and C infections among African communities in the U.S. Our goal is to bring together NYC organizations, services providers and advocates who are dedicated to ending hepatitis B and C in African communities throughout the city.
The objectives of CHIPO-NYC Liver Health Initiatives are:
- To build community and provider partnerships for prevention
- To raise awareness about hepatitis among African-born populations
- To provide screening, immunization, referral services for African immigrants and refugees
- To increase hepatitis B screening and immunization rates for high risk African immigrants
- To identify and reduce cultural and language barriers to immunization, screening, and treatment for liver diseases
Find Testing & Care
See a list of Hepatitis Testing, Vaccination and Treatment sites that provide free and low-cost care for Hep B and C in NYC.
Testing & Vaccination
African Services Committee offers free Hep B and C tests and Hep B vaccination for those at risk. If positive, patients will be linked to medical care. To refer, contact: Halimatou Konte, Testing Center Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org 212-222-3882 ext 2118. Monday – Friday (9:00 am – 4:30 pm).
African Services is part of the Check Hep B Patient Navigation program. Learn more about Check Hep B.
- A presentation for community health workers and physicians on hepatitis B basics, and tips for providing education and dispelling myths when educating
- A flipchart for direct community education
- Fact sheets and resource sheets
- African immigrant #justB patient storytellers videos
Get Involved Nationally!
Join National Coalition against Hepatitis in People of African Origin (CHIPO) Bi-Monthly Call. This is an opportunity to speak to leaders in the nation focused on addressing Hep B in the African community. To join, contact Chari Cohen at email@example.com.