NYS Hep C ‘Baby Boomer’ Testing Law
Background on the Law
Effective January 1, 2014, the NYS Hepatitis C Testing Law. 2171 requires healthcare providers to offer hep C test to baby boomers. The law requires full diagnostic testing for those who screen anti-body positive and either follow-up health care or referral to a health care provider who can provide follow-up health care.
Questions about the law and how it could affect you?
Find the answers on this NYS Department of Health FAQ.
- The individual is being treated for a life-threatening emergency
- The individual has previously been offered or has been the subject of a hepatitis C screening
- The individual lacks capacity to consent to a hepatitis C screening test.
- offer the individual follow-up health care
- referral to a health care provider who can provide such care
The offer of testing must be culturally and linguistically appropriate in accordance with rules and regulations promulgated by the Commissioner of Health.
Last Updated on October 22, 2020 by HepFree NYC