Last Updated on
NYS Hep C ‘Baby Boomer’ Testing Law
Background on the Law
Effective January 1, 2014, the NYS Hepatitis C Testing Law. 2171 requires healthcare providers to offer hep C test to baby boomers. The law requires full diagnostic testing for those who screen anti-body positive and either follow-up health care or referral to a health care provider who can provide follow-up health care.
Questions about the law and how it could affect you?
Find the answers on this NYS Department of Health FAQ.
- The individual is being treated for a life-threatening emergency
- The individual has previously been offered or has been the subject of a hepatitis C screening
- The individual lacks capacity to consent to a hepatitis C screening test.
- offer the individual follow-up health care
- referral to a health care provider who can provide such care
The offer of testing must be culturally and linguistically appropriate in accordance with rules and regulations promulgated by the Commissioner of Health.