Last Updated on September 27, 2019 by Sarah Ahmed
HCV Community Health Worker/ Peer Navigator
The STAR Program is looking for a dynamic and enthusiastic person to provide health education and support to individuals living with HCV and their families. We are seeking someone with lived experience with the target population, experienced in working with individuals who are HCV positive, HIV positive, and /or substance abuse users. We are seeking someone who has the willingness to share his or her personal experiences of living with HCV in order to educate, provide emotional support, and offer practical self-care strategies to individuals. Must be able to advocate for self and others. Computer skills and familiarity with office software applications a plus. Experience with outreach and use of social media preferred. Bilingual English/Spanish or English/Creole preferred. Knowledge of CBO’s and training in Motivational Interviewing preferred (may be acquired upon employment).
Job Duties include but are not limited to:
- Empower, encourage, and provide support to hepatitis C positive individuals and engage them in care.
- Introduce individuals to the STAR Health Center and other services which may be beneficial to individuals.
- Educate new and existing individuals on basic HCV transmission, disease, treatment, and risk reduction; provide support and assistance in medication adherence and identify other resources to assist individuals in maintaining adherence.
- Assist program participants with attaining personal goals by identifying methods of achieving care and successful treatment.
- Support individuals through treatment duration by providing regular follow ups.
- Work closely with multi-disciplinary team to develop care plan for assigned participants.
- Document all services provided within 24 hours.
- Maintain professional relationships with individuals and ensure his or her confidentiality.
- Complete any administrative work related to the program as required.
- Provide individual support and assistance through monitored field work which includes general HCV education, individual escort, appointment reminders, and other peer supportive services.
- Adherence to the SUNY Downstate Medical University Hospital of Brooklyn’s Principles of Behavior.
- Participate in Outreach events
- Provide HCV rapid testing and counseling
This position is a part-time position at 2.5 days per week (Monday-Wednesday).
The salary is $20,000 per year.
Please submit resume and cover letter to:
Alecia Charles, Program Coordinator
SUNY Downstate Medical Center
450 Clarkson Avenue, MSC 1240
Brooklyn, NY 11203
Or visit: http://www.starprogram.nyc/join-our-team/
We are an EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER. Personnel are chosen on the basis of ability without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability or marital status, in accordance with federal and state law.