- This event has passed.
Training | Hep C Basics for Peer Workers
February 6 @ 9:00 am - 5:00 pm EST
NYC: Hepatitis C Basics for Peer Workers
Title: Hepatitis C Basics for Peer Workers
Date: February 6th, 2019
Time: Full Day 9:00 am – 5:00 pm
Location: Harm Reduction Coalition, 22 West 27th Street, 5th Fl, New York, NY 10001
Training Region: NYC
Trainers: Hiawatha Collins and Noah Heau
This one day training will offer peer workers information about hepatitis C and will cover basic facts about hepatitis A and B.
As a result of this training, workshop participants will be able to:
- Recall basic facts about who is affected by hepatitis C in New York State
- Recall basic facts about the functions of the liver
- Describe how hepatitis C is and is not transmitted
- Share information with others about viral hepatitis prevention and harm reduction strategies
- Recall recommendations regarding who should be screened for hepatitis B and C
- Describe the two-step testing algorithm for hepatitis C
- Recall resources for HCV testing in NYS
- Describe to clients the spectrum of illness for hepatitis C
- Recall key facts about new treatments for hepatitis C and resources for HCV treatment in NYS
- Counsel clients with hepatitis C about the importance of vaccination for hepatitis A and B, avoiding alcohol, good liver health practices and avoiding re-infection
- Recall NYS AIDS Institute HCV Peer Worker competencies
This training is FREE and will be held at Harm Reduction Coalition, 22 West 27th St., 5th Floor, New York, NY 10001.