Hep C Medical Care & Treatment Update Part1 (National Harm Reduction Coalition)
May 11 @ 12:00 pm - 2:00 pm EDT
Hep C Medical Care and Treatment Update Pt.1
Wednesday, May 11th, 2021 (12-2:00 PM EST)
Audience: NYC HCV Peer Navigators
Prerequisite: Hepatitis C Basics for Peer Workers or similar course
This 2 part 2 hour each webinar series will review the latest advances in treatment for hepatitis C and increase awareness of Hep C Peer Workers about the overall medical care needs of people living with Hep C. It will provide peer workers with an opportunity to reflect on a wide range of ethical issues as well as their own attitudes and beliefs about Hep C treatment with the goal of building peer worker skills in motivating and engaging clients in Hep C medical care and treatment.
By the end of this training, participants will be able to:
1) Explain the importance of engaging people living with Hep C in primary care
2) Recall basic information about advances in Hep C treatment
3) Work as a member of the care team to: Help patients take advantage of health maintenance services, vaccination, and other preventive services. Assist with follow-up on care team recommendations regarding client assessments and referrals for a variety of psychosocial issues including substance use, mental health, domestic violence, smoking cessation, etc.
4) Counsel clients living with Hep C about the importance of vaccination for hepatitis A and B, avoiding or reducing alcohol intake and good liver health practices
5) Counsel clients about the importance of avoiding re-infection and provide harm reduction strategies to avoid re-infection
6) Recall basic information about health coverage options and other benefits that are available to help people living with Hep C access health care services and medications
Register in advance for this meeting:
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting.