Buprenorphine Implementation Coordinator
The Bureau of Alcohol and Drug Use Prevention, Care, and Treatment (BADUPCT) works to reduce morbidity and mortality related to alcohol and substance use among New Yorkers. BADUPCT develops, implements, and evaluates interventions and prevention strategies through: contracting of treatment, recovery, and support services; policy analysis and development; epidemiology and surveillance; dissemination of treatment and management guidelines; harm reduction initiatives; public and provider outreach and education and; community involvement and interagency collaboration.
The Buprenorphine Implementation Coordinator will be part of BADUPCT’s Primary Care Integration Unit. The Buprenorphine Implementation Coordinator will lead implementation of a Buprenorphine Training Initiative to increase the number of buprenorphine (a medication to treat opioid dependence) prescribers in New York City and provide technical assistance and training for their practices. This Initiative is part of BADUPCT’s multi-pronged strategy to increase access to effective treatment for opioid overdose and reduce overdose deaths. Under the direction from the Primary Care Integration Unit Director, this will include:
Providing technical assistance to practices (e.g., integrating buprenorphine prescribing into practice workflow, patient recruitment, establishing tracking systems, electronic medical record integration, billing).
- Analyzing buprenorphine prescribing needs in practices, and observing and evaluating buprenorphine services in these practices.
- Promoting buprenorphine prescribing with practices, individual prescribers, clinical staff, and administrative staff.
- Curriculum development; use curriculum to plan and conduct office staff education at practices.
- Participating in case conferences with supervisors and office staff at practices to improve the quality of buprenorphine services.
- Confer with physician advisory group (including psychiatrists) regarding program planning and implementation.
- Promotion to recruit prescribers and practices into the Buprenorphine Training Initiative.
In addition, the Buprenorphine Implementation Coordinator will:
- Advise on policies, techniques, and procedures regarding buprenorphine integration.
- Make pertinent reports and recommendations; prepare and adapt manuals and other guides related to buprenorphine.
- Participate in special studies and surveys in the field of substance use.
- Assist with other buprenorphine-related initiatives.
- Deliver presentations to a variety of audiences.
- Stay current with substance use literature and apply to projects.
- Liaise/communicate regularly with project partners.
- Work closely and coordinate with other units in BADUPCT.
- Other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qual Requirements
A valid New York State license as a Registered Nurse, a baccalaureate degree in Nursing from an accredited college and a masters degree in Nursing, Public Health or a related field, plus two (2) years of recent experience in public health or hospital nursing in the field of communicable diseases, one (1) year of which must have been in a supervisory, administrative, consultative or educational capacity; or
Education and/or experience equivalent to “1” above. However, all candidates must have a valid New York State license as a Registered Nurse, a baccalaureate degree in Nursing from an accredited college, and the one year of supervisory, administrative, consultative, or educational experience as described in “1” above.
The candidate will: have clinical training and experience; have experience treating patients with substance use disorders, including pharmacological treatment for substance use disorders, particularly buprenorphine; have experience delivering trainings and public speaking; have direct experience using electronic health records; have experience in evaluation and quality improvement; possess excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills; ideally have experience practicing public health in a government setting; have the ability to work well with different personalities and organizational structures; be resourceful, detail-oriented, and have outstanding organizational skills; have the ability to multi-task in a fast-paced, high-volume environment; have proficiency in Excel, Access, Word, PowerPoint, and Visio.
ALL CANDIDATES MUST POSSESS A VALID NEW YORK STATE LICENSE AS A REGISTERED NURSE AND THIS LICENSE MUST BE MAINTAINED FOR THE DURATION OF EMPLOYMENT.
Job ID: 225536
Business Title: Buprenorphine Implementation Coordinator, Bureau of Alcohol and Drug Use, Prevention, Care, and Treatment
Civil Service Title: CONSULTANT PUBLIC HEALTH NURSE
Career Level: Experienced (non-manager)
Proposed Salary Range: $ 75,916.00 – $ 75,916.00 (Annual)
Work Location:42-09 28th Street
Division/Work Unit: Alcohol, Drug Prev & Treatment
Apply online with a cover letter to https://a127-jobs.nyc.gov/. In the Job ID search bar, enter: job ID number # 225536.
We appreciate the interest and thank all applicants who apply, but only those candidates under consideration will be contacted
New York City Residency is not required for this position.